Wednesday 1 April 2015

matsunosuke NY, daikanyama


Ok I admit it. You've got me. 
My name is Jessica, and I am a pancake-aholic.

I swear I do try to go to other cafes aside from pancake ones. I swear. But there's just something about the fuwa-fuwa soft puffiness, the melty-bubbliness, the sweet silkiness of dat pancake batter, I just...MMM. 

Anyway yeah, this week's calorie fest went down in my neighbourhood cafe, a little place called Matsunosuke New York. It's one of those places I've always walked past and have always been meaning to go in to try, but never quite got round to it. Maybe it's the boxiness of the place - there are only a few tables, all of which look out onto the main sidewalk of Daikanyama. But after peeping through the window, I was totally drawn in by the huge range of pies and cakes, plus the relaxed and non-pretentious atmosphere that is sometimes lacking when it comes to this part of town. On the two occasions I've been now, we were seated quickly and didn't have to queue or wait long for our order to be taken. I guess that's the merit of having such a little shop!



The menu is big on New York-style stuff, albeit with a slight Japanese twist of lighter pastry and a more subtle taste palette. Although the pies have rave reviews, I went for the sour cream and blackcurrant pancakes, which turned out to be the most delicious combination of flavours - not too sweet and not too heavy at all. The pancake batter itself is incredibly light and airy, and you can really taste the egg, which somehow makes it feel much more wholesome and freshly-made - none of your processed powdered pancake mix here. The pancakes also come with a dipping sauce at the side rather than drizzling it on top, so you can tailor the sweetness to the level you like and experiment with each bite. 

The overall chilled, adult and urban atmosphere of the cafe, combined with the absolutely on fleeeeeek sweet treats has made me fall in love with Matsunosuke's, and established it as one of my prime people-watching and relaxation treat spots. Oh, make sure to try the iced coffee too - it's lush! 

Matsunosuke NY is located at D-11 Hillside Terrace, Daikanyama. It's open from 9am-7pm (closed on Mondays).


2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!
    Love your blog so far, cant wait to see more posts :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at pancakes! I need to visit this place!

    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete